Apr 12, 2020
With the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, there are possibly TWO NEGATIVE EMOTIONS running through our veins: ANXIETY and ANGER. This was something that the Psalmist struggled with but eventually overcame. We gleaned TWO LESSONS from Psalm 37
I. ANXIETY AND ANGER POINTS
1. ANXIETY & ANGER POINT ONE: One anxiety point that the Israelites had has to do with the age-old question “Why do the WICKED prosper while the godly painfully struggle through life?”
2. ANXIETY & ANGER POINT TWO: The Lord gave his people a promised land but their tenure of and advancement in it was repeatedly under threat, nationally from outside adversaries, and individually from corrupt and oppressive exploiters.
3. ANXIETY & ANGER POINT THREE: Against this backdrop, God seemed like an IDLE SPECTATOR and you can sense a temptation on the part of the Israelites to be angry with God.
4. ANXIETY & ANGER POINT FOUR: Unable to see things from God’s perspective, the Israelites during the Psalmist’s time seem to wrongly observe that all of human experience seems to be grossly unfair.
5. ANXIETY & ANGER POINT FIVE: Another source of anxiety would be the future of one’s children.
II.SOLUTION TO OUR ANXIETY AND ANGER POINTS
THINGS WE OUGHT TO CHANGE (First of all, if there is any change that is to take place, it should FIRST START WITH US, not with others, not with institutions):
1. SOLUTION: INTERNAL. Let us CHANGE OUR ATTITUDE. Let us move away from our ANXIETIES by not COMPARING our situation with others most especially the WICKED. The opposite of anxiety is CALMNESS.
2. SOLUTION: Let us change OUR PERSPECTIVE. When we are in a state of PANIC, our perspective becomes SKEWED. Let us view things with the END in SIGHT.
3. SOLUTION: Let us change our MINDSET, from that of PANIC to that of FAITH.
4. SOLUTION: Let us change our FOCUS. Instead of focusing on circumstances and our own earthly concerns, let us FOCUS on God and He would take good care of us. This “delight” in the Lord is a positive reaction that we should develop instead of having “jealousy”.
III.THINGS WE OUGHT TO DO (POSITIVE RESPONSE)
IV.THE THINGS WE OUGHT NOT TO DO (NEGATIVE RESPONSE)
In the midst of this great tribulation we are facing, there are certain things WE OUGHT TO DO and OUGHT not to do. As we do these things, we know that God will make all things beautiful in His time.