Apr 26, 2020
I know that there are a lot of believers who are having DIFFICULTY fighting for JOY at this time. We have been stripped of so many things and we are now beginning to ADJUST to a NEW NORMAL. That new normal is a situation of SOCIAL DISTANCING, WORK at HOME and also CHURCH at HOME.
The question is: How do I find JOY amidst COVID-19?
I believe that Psalm 63 supplies us with a STEADY SUPPLY of ANSWERS.
TEXT: Psalm 63
Background: This is a WISDOM Psalm which is very much similar to the Book of Proverbs. A necessary CAVEAT or LIMITATION here is that we are NOT to SEE these verses as PROMISES, but as GENERAL PRINCIPLES which if applied MIGHT PRODUCE FAVORABLE RESULTS.
I. WORSHIP OF THE LORD vv. 1 – 3
II.GOD’S DELIVERANCE from FEAR vv. 4 – 6
III.THE FEAR that leads TO DELIVERANCE vv. 7 – 22
1. The COMMAND to SEEK God – v. 8
2. The COMMAND to FEAR the Lord – vv. 9 -10
3. The COMMAND to LISTEN to God’s TEACHING – VV. 11 – 12
4. The COMMAND to RESTRAIN the TONGUE from EVIL SPEECH v. 13
5. The COMMAND to DEPART from EVIL and DO GOOD – v. 14
IV.THE BLESSING of FEAR and the CURSE of NO FEAR
1. God’s ABIDING PRESENCE and ANSWERED PRAYER – v. 15
2. God’s DESTRUCTION of EVIL DOERS – v. 16
3. God’s DELIVERANCE from ALL TROUBLES – v. 17
4. God’s NEARNESS and SALVATION – v. 18
5. God’s PRESERVATION vv. 19 – 20
6. God’s PUNISHMENT v. 21
7. God’s JUSTIFICATION v. 22
It is by having the FEAR of the LORD – A genuine RELATIONSHIP with the Lord which brings about REVERENTIAL FEAR.